Broke Lads & Annoying Ads

I ride the bus because I’m way too important to drive myself. Also I get to read a book, listen to music, and have strange conversations with the other proles.

What is it about bus drivers? They have a fairly easy job - no heavy lifting, no boss in their face all day, a place to sit - so why are they always so surly?

Anyway. I’m at the bus stop, in the rain because this is England, and maybe it’s my mood that causes my irritation and not the sad lame stupid poster for Ladbrokes. “When you know,” it proclaims, “You know you know!” or “When you win it’s skill. When you lose it’s bad luck.”

Underneath each pearl is their slogan: This is the Ladbrokes Life!

So going down the betting shop in a tracksuit to spend your dole money is a lifestyle choice? Ah, now I understand.

Maybe hanging around outside Tesco swigging a Special Brew tinny and leering at schoolgirls is too.

And the bloke swaggering down the road with a badly behaved staffie shouting abuse at his pram-pushing teenage missus is a cultural icon 

As British as bangers and baked beans.

“When you win,” the poster tells me, “Get them in.”

This is the Ladbrokes Life!

I’m not sure if the Ladbrokes media boys are trying to be ironic, but I wouldn’t think their customer base would have much insight into such subtleties. In fact, I can only imagine the guy chucking his benefits cash on football results and horses would get a kick out of seeing a version of himself splashed over a bus stop wall.

It’s truth in advertising. Too much of it.

Next we’ll get a “Citybus Legends” campaign - A guy with greasy hair and sweat-stained armpits telling you he doesn’t have change for a tenner; or grinning through yellow teeth as he watches you running for his bus and drives off just before you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment